A History of Frieth

Frieth 45 years ago - as told by Mrs M. Ing

[ Snapshots in time ]
The Geographical Setting
The Early History
The Middle Ages
The Growth of a Community
1800 - 1860
1860 - 1900
1900 - 1973
The Name Frieth
Pillow Lace
West & Collier
[ The Colliers of West & Collier ]
West & Collier Catalogues
Notes on The Firm
Notes on Frieth
Further Notes on Frieth
Frieth as I knew it
Memories of bygone years
Frieth 45 years ago
The Posse Comitatus
[ Chisbridge Farm ]

Sections [in square brackets] are additions to the original content

[ "45 years ago" would be circa 1925 ]

At the bottom of the village, at the crossroads, was a large pond. Moorhen built on the banks and cattle and horses came there to drink. The blacksmith's shop was just across the road. This was a very interesting place - to watch the shoes being made on the anvil and finally fitted on the horses.

A little way up the hill, on the left, was the spring. This had a fence around it with a gate and steps going down to the water. In dry weather, most people had to depend on it for their water supply and many fetched it with two buckets hung on yokes from their shoulders.

Some evenings the spring was almost: empty, but by the morning, would be several feet deep.

Further up the hill on the left was the shop where shoes were made and mended and paraffin was sold.

On the opposite side of the road, was the Yew Tree Public House. This also had a little general shop. Milk, cream, eggs and home-made butter were also produced. Some years previous it had been a bakery as well.

Up the hill on the left was another public house (closed many years) reputed to have been an 18th century coaching inn.

The shop and Post Office were situated where the shop is now. Opposite was the bakehouse, where the most delicious bread and cakes were made. On Sundays the oven was kept hot and anyone could cook their lunch in it for a small sum. As this was in pre-electric days it was very useful.

Across the green - the village school. Some of the pupils walked three or four miles to school.

At the top of the village was another large pond. Ducks from the farm across the road were usually there and it was a pleasant scene.

Mrs. Ing  January 1970