Your House and Mine


Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn
Underwood, Frieth, 1992 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

According to information from Peggy West, two old cottages stood on this site and it was her father who had them demolished and the present house built in 1912.

He lived there with his family until he moved to The Firm

Mr West had several corrugated iron roofed buildings in the grounds used for chair making until joining in with the firm of West and Collier in 1916 (See Peggy West's description of the Frieth Guide Hut)

Since World War 2 this house has been set on firmer foundations, added to and the loft space converted.

To the side of Underwood a track follows the edge of the common. Mr Collier's sketch map printed on the back cover of "Frieth a Chiltern Village" shows that in 1890 a number of shacks and caravans (diddicoy and/or settlers) bordered this track.

Back  Forward