Your House and Mine

Pear Tree Cottage

Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn

PearTree Cottage, Frieth, 1981 - Taken from the garden of The Platt, from Joan Barksfield's collection

The deeds of Pear Tree Cottage show that it was sold off from the Elleryes holding in 1743 and the house was built some time between 1825 and 1834.

In 1834 John Strange, cordwainer, and his wife became the owner occupiers. John Strange carried on his shoemaking business there.

In 1861 James Barksfield was working for John Strange as an apprentice cordwainer and when, in 1862, John died James carried on the business for Mrs Strange. He and his family continued living there until 1911 when he moved to his new house opposite.

PearTree Cottage and the Yew Tree Inn about 1914 - A postcard from Joan Barksfield's collection

In 1924 Pear Tree Cottage was occupied by Mr Alfred Hussey and family who named it Laburnum Cottage. Mr Hussey worked for the firm of West and Collier as a skilled carver, many examples of his work survive including the memorial behind the Font at Frieth Church.

From 1934 Miss Muriel Glyn-Jones owned this property, renamed it Pear Tree Cottage and extended the house and garden - she was one of the founder members of the Frieth Village Society.

Back  Forward