Your House and Mine

The Gables

Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn

The Gables, Frieth, 1984 - Image from Joan Barksfield's collection

The Gables is not, and never has been, the School House. The present house was built circa 1880-90 but prior to that there was an older house and barn on the same plot.

Recently The Gables has been added to and restored. During work on the garden a William III coin in near mint condition dated 1699 was found buried under a tree root in the NE corner of the plot where it adjoins the Village Green. It was not unusual for owners, historically, to mark the corner of their land by planting a tree and sometimes a coin was placed in with it. It was in William III's reign that new coinage was minted to replace old and clipped coins. During this period the owner of Parmoor House and Estate, which included this plot, was Timothy D'Oyly (1640-1715) who had married Jane Brattel, daughter of the Master of the Mint! Of course a coin can be dropped and lost but maybe this one was planted deliberately.

By 1865 William Cook was the owner of The Gables and the land surrounding it; he it was who gave the plot of land on which the School was built. A small brick and flint barn went with it which the school used to store coal and faggots used for lighting the open fires.

The School and the Gables, Frieth, 1992 - Image from Joan Barksfield's collection

One little tale is told of a family named Simmons who rented The Gables for  many years in the early years of the 20th C. Mr Simmons worked for "The Firm" and before he moved to Frieth lived at Ibstone. Every day he rode his penny-farthing bicycle to work and brought his terrier dog with him draped round the back of his neck and balanced on his shoulders!

An unfortunate accident occurred during the 1940's - Will Barksfield who lived at The Gables was picking pears in the orchard when the ladder slipped and caused his death.

[ Alan Harris and Claire Tyrrell, the current occupants (2009), write that they bought The Gables from Hillary Luxton who purchased the house, almost derelict, in the late 1990s. The picture above, from 1992, shows it boarded up ]

Back  Forward