Your House and Mine

Sara's Cottage

Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn

Saras Cottage, Frieth - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Sara's Cottage is named after Sara Latham (mother of Denis),  Sara and her husband were tenants.  This is another of Frieth's old cottages, but how old has been difficult to ascertain.  Probably parts of it are 17th C or earlier. Jeffreys Map of 1770 shows this cottage was there then.  The D'Oyly estate map of 1786 shows that the cottage belonged o the D'Oylys of Parmoor ( not Friethe Farm, as it was called then, on the opposite side of the road)

Saras Cottage, Frieth, 1992 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Bryant's map of 1825 also shows this cottage. It is difficult to decipher the exact number of this house and garden from the Tithe Map of 1845 but from the schedule William Cook who had purchased the Parmoor Estate appears to be the owner. During the second half of the 19th C the Cripps family purchased the Parmoor Estate from William Cook. Then during the 20th C Sara's was bought by the Collier family who, by that time, owned Friethe Farm (then called Collier's Farm) too. [ You can find the Tithe Map under "Hambleden" on the menu bar above ]

Sara Latham (seated) outside Saras Cottage, Frieth, c1920 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Back  Forward