Your House and Mine

Folly Cottages

Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn

Folly Cottages, Frieth, 1974 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Before these cottages were built the ground on which they stand was let out for garden plots.

Originally this part of Moor Common was owned by the Lords of the Manor of Hambleden and garden plots could be rented annually or purchased for a much larger fee (see also Ted Collier's Notes on Frieth in the "A History of Frieth")

By the middle of the 19th C the housing shortage was acute and some shelters and hovels had appeared along the boundary bordering Hambleden and Fingest Parishes. Rev. W. H. Ridley, Rector of Hambleden 1840-42 was instrumental in getting this row of six cottages (two up and two down) put up on this site to house these families. However an extract from the Hambleden Parish Magazine of 1898 reads :

"The Folly Cottages at Frieth (so called) which are in Hambleden parish but in Lane End District seem to have justified their title, for the roof fell in with a crash. Fortunately no one was hurt"

Another note of interest is that at one period circa 1900, thirty children came from these cottages to attend Frieth School! After WW2 Folly Cottages were condemned, sold and converted into three cottages.

[ The 1901 Census shows 6 families, in total 36 people, living in these cottages. The families were : Latham, Saunders, Butler, Jolly, Bond and Hobbs.
My count is 13 children in the age range 5 to 12

Back  Forward