Your House and Mine

Little Cottage

Introduction
Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Bramblings
   Astrea
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   Underwood
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Hilliers
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Rowleys
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Barlows
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Inglenook
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   Hilltop
   Cattons
   Mallards
   Hillswood
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   Marlstone
   Westwood
   Bradstone
   Haylescroft
   The Niche
   Rivendell
   Summerhill
   Ashcroft
   Selborne
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Fermain
   Chilterns
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Whitsun
   Backlins
   Red Kites
   Maidenscraft
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Willems
   Elder Barn
   Sunnydale

Little Cottage, Frieth, 1969 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Little Cottage, adjoining the two on the previous page, is much older and may have been joined to some other building where the previously mentioned cottages stood prior to 1853.

This cottage has a large open fireplace and, when we owned it, had a wooden seat on the right and a bread oven on the left hand side opening onto the hearth (both have since been destroyed).

The ground floor consisted of one large room with a small kitchen and a large larder/store opening off it. The larder had a long wooden slab that could have been used to salt a side of bacon. A Victorian staircase, screened off from the living room by a door, led to a landing bedroom and a main bedroom. Upon investigation we found  that the staircase was constructed directly on top of a ladder, the much earlier mode of access to the first floor.

Beams in the main bedroom, Little Cottage, Frieth, 1969 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

In the 19th century this cottage was still part of Barlows Farm and, circa 1870, a family named Ginger lived there.Their eldest son was a bit of a tearaway, got into trouble with the law and was sent off to sea.

[ This picture of Solomon Ginger is from a badly marked original but is nonetheless remarkable given that it must be about 130 years old ]

Solomon Ginger who once lived at Little Cottage, From Joan Barksfield's collection

In later life he returned to Frieth and worked for the two Barlow sisters Sarah and Ellen, as their farmhand. Ginger, as he was always called, was the last man in Frieth to thresh barley with a flail, on the barn floor (now used as a garage).

Barlows Barn, Frieth, 1992 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

During the first half of the 20th century Cutlers, Yew Tree and Little Cottage were owned by the Collier family. Little Cottage was the cowman's cottage and Yew Tree the ploughman's cottage for Colliers Farm.

Back  Forward