Your House and Mine

Spurgrove Cottage

Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn
Spurgrove Cottage, Frieth, 1981 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Spurgrove Cottage, Gable End and Willems at Spurgrove are a group of much older cottages.

[ What is known of them is spread across this page and the following two "Gable End" and "Willems" ]

Spurgrove Cottage, Frieth, 1992 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

The Upp family lived at Spurgrove, probably in the farmhouse now known as Willems, from at least 1588 onwards. Over the years parcels of land belonging to this farm were sold off to various purchasers.

In 1657 John Dormer built (or rebuilt) Gable End. [ see next page ] After changing hands several times William Gray bought Gable End in 1849, by then described as two cottages and garden.  In 1868 Jeremiah Humphreys bought the same property, described as "4 cottages, 2 newly built and all tenanted" The two newly built were what is now Spurgrove Cottage.

In 1952 Father Atkinson, a retired priest from Kilburn bought these two "two up and two down" cottages and turned them into one house, Spurgrove Cottage.

When Father Atkinson died a large wooden crucifix that had been given to him when he left Kilburn was given to Frieth Church and is the one that can be seen in the churchyard.

This crucifix was carved by Anthony Foster a well known artist, carver and sculptor who was living at Hilliers at the time.

Back  Forward