Your House and Mine

The Yew Tree Inn

Introduction
Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Bramblings
   Astrea
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   Underwood
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Hilliers
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Rowleys
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Barlows
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Inglenook
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   Hilltop
   Cattons
   Mallards
   Hillswood
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   Marlstone
   Westwood
   Bradstone
   Haylescroft
   The Niche
   Rivendell
   Summerhill
   Ashcroft
   Selborne
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Fermain
   Chilterns
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Whitsun
   Backlins
   Red Kites
   Maidenscraft
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Willems
   Elder Barn
   Sunnydale

The Yew Tree Inn is on the opposite side of the road from Barlows, as mentioned earlier.

The deeds of this property go back to the 16th Century. A deed dated 7th March 1600 says that "Thomas Rockall, husbandman, and his mother Alice Rockall (sold this property), four tenements with barns, outhouses and a Close of about 2 acres of land at Ffreath to Nicholas Allyn of Hambleden, tailor"

An old barn and some plots of land were leased to John Collins, alias John Deane, and the rest to William Keyley. Whether by the Barlow/Keyley marriage mentioned earlier or not, the Barlows family seemed to have an interest in this property and certainly farmed the land if nothing more - only a detailed study of the property deeds could reveal this.

By 1840 Thomas Collier had married Hannah Barlow and was living at The Yew Tree and in the 1841 census styles himself as "Farmer". It was Thomas who had the yew tree planted in the front garden.

The census returns for 1851 give John Turner living at The Yew Tree, he styled himself "Baker, publican and farmer of 14 acres"  So can we assume it was he who first kept a beer house there?

In 1881 John Turner and family were still there and this time his title was "Baker, farmer of 20 acres and publican of The Yew Tree"

Some time during the 19th century The Yew Tree was bought by Wethereds Brewery.


The Yew Tree seen from outside Barlows in about 1920

From 1894 to 1930 Mr Fred Leaver was the landlord and his wife kept a small shop in a room behind the public bar.

His death was recorded in the Bucks Free Press in 1930

The Yew Tree in about 1933 also serving "Teas" the small sign says

Fred Leaver was followed by his daughter Emma Keep, then came Emma's son Wilfrid Keep and family who gave up the tenancy in [ blank - can anyone help ? ] when the Yew Tree became a free house. Up to this time the Yew Tree was a village pub, the room to the left being the public bar with scrubbed tables and benches and beer drawn from the wood.  The room to the right was the family parlour, plus piano, opened on Saturday evenings and special occasions for a sing-song when a pianist could be found.

[ In the May 24, 1941 edition of Picture Post, amongst articles fuelled by the fear of imminent invasion: "The Men Who Must Be Driven Back into the Sea", "How the Nazis have Prepared" etc we find "Whatever is Going On at the Yew Tree?"

Since becoming a free house there has been a succession of five owners [ in 2001 ] who have between them altered and extended this property and, in common with most country pubs, The Yew Tree is now a Village Inn and Restaurant.

The pub is now, sadly, closed and we are waiting to see what happens next [2014]

Back  Forward