Your House and Mine

Tedders / Rose Cottage

Map of Frieth
Moor End
   Merrydown Cottage
   Corner Cottage
   Moor's End Cottages
   Moor Gate House
   The Copse
Fingest Road
   The Forge
   Folly Cottages
   The Willows
Perrin Springs Lane
   Perrin Springs
   West's Cottages
Ellery Rise
   Lynden Cottage
Frieth Hill
   Hillside Cottage
   Pear Tree Cottage
   Hillside View
   The Platt
   Little Barlows
   Cutlers Cottage
   Yew Tree Cottage
   Little Cottage
   Birch Cottage
   Tedders / Rose Cottage
   The Old Stores
   The Yew Tree Inn
   Fairfield House
   Flint Cottage 1
   Flint Cottage 2
   Middle Cottage
   Sunny Corner
   The Gables
   The Orchards
   The Old Parsonage
   White Gates
   The Laurels
   The Cottage
   The Firm
   The Niche
   The Ranch House
   Sara's Cottage
   The Cherries
   The Old School House
Innings Road
   Collier's Farm
   Innings Gate
   Down the Lane
   Sunset Cottage
   Rowan Cottage
   Creighton Cottage
   Apple Tree
   Old Well Cottage
   The Cottage
   Flat Roof
   Red Kites
Spurgrove Lane
   Maidencraft Cottage
   September Cottage
   Spurgrove Cottage
   Gable End
   Elder Barn

Tedders, Frieth, 1969 - From Joan Barksfield's collection

Tedders and The Old Stores are situated on the furthest extent of the land once belonging to Barlows farm, but both appear to have been sold off at an early date. A property deed dated 1783 describing these cottages states "Hannah Mole, widow, sold to William White for £40, cottage, woodhouse etc where John Audy previously dwelt".

So far the date when the split from the Barlow farm occurred or the date of building of the oldest parts of these cottages has not been found.

The ownership of these two cottages stayed together until 1974 when Tedders was sold off to a separate owner. During most of the last 200-300 years these cottages were tenanted. From 1822 to sometime prior to 1846 Edward Lane and his son were bakers here and presumably started selling bread. Tedders has a bread oven and there may have been one in The Old Stores too.

Mr Lane sold these properties to Mr Warrington. In 1849 Ephraim Webb bought "Shop, cottage next and bakehouse opposite, newly enclosed" for £275 from Mr Warrington.

The name Tedders is not an old one - the cottage was named thus by Mr Ted Druce who owned these properties from 1953 - 1974.

[ According to Roger Druce the property was called Rose Cottage before that.

June 2011: Julie Salt-Cowell, the present occupier, tells me that they took the property name back to Rose Cottage in 2008

More information about The Old Stores on the next page ]

Back  Forward